Did you know? – Web Statistics
The World Wide Web is a wonderful tool for many, a burning desire for some and an evil presence for a few. But what do we actually know about the web and all that exists on it? Well, here are some astonishing web statistics we were able to uncover:
- There are an estimated 966 million websites on the web today but this number is constantly rising. Your competitors almost definitely have a website so you should too!
- Google is the #1 most popular website in the world, followed by Facebook and YouTube.
- The most expensive domain name ever sold is insurance.com, which sold for $35.6 million in 2010.
- An estimated 37,000 websites are hacked every day.
- The most popular CMS (content management system) is WordPress, powering 25.4% of all websites in the world. WordPress is also responsible for over 76.5 million blogs created since 2004.
- The average e-commerce site takes 7.12 seconds to load in Internet Explorer 9, an average of 7.15 seconds to load in Firefox 7 and an average of 7.5 seconds to load in Google Chrome.
- 8 out of 10 consumers will shop online if offered free shipping.
- 50% of mobile users will abandon a web page if it takes more than 10 seconds to load, and 60% won’t return to the site. Test how mobile friendly your website is using this free tool from Google.
- A single second delay in your website loading time can result in a 7% loss in conversion. 40% of web users will abandon a website if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load. Is your website struggling to keep up? We can help!
- Personalised recommendations can increase conversion rates by up to 5.5 times.
- 2.9 billion Google searches are made every day.
- Facebook has an estimated 1.2 Billion active users. Meaning that of the 7 billion people on Earth, 17% are on Facebook. Is your business on Facebook? Find our more about our social media account set up to get a head start.
- 1,700 tweets are sent every second!
- Around 250 billion emails are sent every day! Of those, 200 billion are spam!